2x packets of Griffin’s Gingernuts Originals
200g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract)
100g dark chocolate chopped or grated
250g butter, softened
50g caster sugar
300ml Orange juice
1. Crack the eggs into a heat resistant bowl, then add sugar, vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract) and dark chocolate. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
2. Put the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water (or use a double boiler if you have one). Stir the egg mixture continuously over the steam for 10 minutes - don’t stop because it may scramble!
3. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, beat the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy (approx. 5 mins). Whisk in the cooled chocolate mixture until combined. Pop back into the fridge until completely cooled.
5. Dip 6 of the Gingernuts into the orange juice and arrange them in a 3x2 rectangle on a serving board or plate - without eating any!
6. Evenly spread some of the chocolate filling over the dipped biscuits. The filling should be a little less than 5mm thick.
7. Repeat these steps until all the biscuits are used up (will make 7 layers of bikkies).
8. Once the log is assembled, spread the remaining filling over the whole log. Refrigerate for a few hours so that the topping becomes firm.
9. Gently cover the log with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of days before serving, or overnight if you can resist.
10. To add a layer of visual appeal, garnish with orange zest, freeze-dried pandering and edible flowers, then serve with cream.
*Can be purchased from supermarkets and specialty food stores.
Griffin’s, New Zealand’s favourite biscuit bakers, has been delighting Kiwis' taste buds for over 150 years. Whether it is a seriously dunkable Gingernut or a truly indulgent ToffeePop, everyone has a favourite Griffin’s bikkie.View Our Range