Ingredients for the base:
½ pack of Griffin’s Gingernuts Originals, crushed
½ pack of Griffin’s Gingernuts Fingers, crushed
125g unsalted butter, melted
For the caramel:
15 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter
2 tbsp honey or golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the chocolate top:
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped
¼ cup of cream
1. Line a 27x18cm slice pan with baking paper and combine with melted butter.
2. Press firmly into the base of a slice pan. Place pan into the freezer until set (approx 20 mins).
3. In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, butter, and honey or golden syrup.
4. Use a rubber spatula to mix slowly but continuously for about ten minutes.
5. Heat until mixture reaches a golden caramel colour and begins pulling away from the pan, then remove from heat and mix in salt.
6. Pour mixture over your biscuit base and use a spatula to make sure it’s even. Place in the fridge to harden completely, which should take about 2 hours.
7. Once the bars have cooled, make your tasty chocolate layer. Prepare a double boiler over medium heat. Chop the chocolate and pour 3/4 of it into a glass or metal bowl, then stir in ¼ cup of cream while melting the chocolate.
8. Remove from heat, fold in remaining 1/4 of chocolate, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Times up! Stir the mixture, making sure all the chocolate has melted completely. Pour over chilled mixture, then place back in the fridge to harden.
9. Cut into 1x2 inch bars and serve. The slice will last up to 1 week when sealed tightly in a container in the fridge, but let’s be honest - it probably won’t be around for that long.
Griffin’s, New Zealand’s favourite biscuit bakers, has been delighting Kiwis' taste buds for over 150 years. Whether it is a seriously dunkable Gingernut or a truly indulgent ToffeePop, everyone has a favourite Griffin’s bikkie.View Our Range