200g Griffin’s Super Wine biscuits
125g butter, melted
500g cream cheese
½ cup caster sugar
3tbsp lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
Lemon curd topping:
2tbsp lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
100g caster sugar
To make the meringues (can be done the day before):
- Preheat oven to 150°C (plain bake).
- Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft whip stage, then add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating well between additions, then whip for a further 2 minutes once all sugar is added.
- Place mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe meringues onto a baking sheet – Kristina made various sizes.
- Pop into the oven and reduce the temperature to 100°C and bake for 90 minutes. The meringues will peel off the baking paper easily when done. Leave to cool.
Cheesecake base & filling:
- Prepare a springform baking tin – Kristina used a 24cm tin with baking paper lining the bottom and sides.
- Place the biscuits into a food processor and turn them into a fine crumb.
- Add butter and mix until the butter is evenly spread.
- Tip the mixture into the tin and press down firmly (use the bottom of a measuring cup).
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160degC (fan bake).
- Place the cream cheese, sugar and zest into a mixing bowl, and using an electric beater, combine until smooth, pale and a bit fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat. Pour onto the base.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the middle is just set. Cool.
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan. Cook over a low-med heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens (be warned, it will thicken more on cooling).
- Pour the slightly warm mixture over the cooled filling and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Before serving, arrange the meringues on top of the curd topping. Enjoy!
Griffin’s, New Zealand’s favourite biscuit bakers, has been delighting Kiwis' taste buds for over 150 years. Whether it is a seriously dunkable Gingernut or a truly indulgent ToffeePop, everyone has a favourite Griffin’s bikkie.View Our Range