Ingredients for the base:
1x packet of Griffin’s Super Wine biscuits (use flat side of biscuit)
Ingredients for the icing:
2x egg whites
2x tablespoons of cold water
1x tablespoon of strained lemon juice (no pips or fibre)
2x ½ cups of icing sugar
Green food colouring*
Red food colouring*
Yellow food colouring*
3x piping bags (or ziplock bags)
To make the icing:
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater until fluffy, thick and shiny.
2. Divide into three bowls and colour each one a single colour to desired tones.
3. Spoon into a piping bag or you can use a small ziplock plastic bag with a small hole cut out of the corner.
4. Pipe leaf outline and wait to set, then fill in the area of the leaves.
5. Using red icing, pipe straight lines from the centre to give the pohutukawa look, using yellow icing, add one dot to the end of each red line.
6. Allow to dry overnight and keep a few for Santa on Christmas Eve.
*Can be purchased from supermarkets and specialist stores.
Griffin’s, New Zealand’s favourite biscuit bakers, has been delighting Kiwis' taste buds for over 150 years. Whether it is a seriously dunkable Gingernut or a truly indulgent ToffeePop, everyone has a favourite Griffin’s bikkie.View Our Range